New Testament Church had its beginnings on October 6, 1974, worshiping at the Cavalier Manor Elementary School Auditorium in Portsmouth, Virginia.
The membership continued to grow under the leadership of the late Bishop Charles H. Bowens. The church was able to purchase land on Rapidan Street, in the Cavalier Manor subdivision of Portsmouth. The ground breaking ceremony was held in 1979, the congregation marched from Cavalier Manor Elementary School into their new sanctuary at our current location of 403 Rapidan Street. Shortly afterwards, New Testament Baptist Church, became non-denominational and changed its name to New Testament Church. Bishop Bowens went home with the Lord Jesus Christ in the year 2001, and Elder Jerome L. Williams, an original and home grown member, and then minister, became our new pastor.
Currently under Pastor Williams leadership, the mission, vision and membership has grown to over 2,200 members as of January 2013. Through much prayer and member's support, God has allowed NTC to complete the first phase of expansion. Beginning as a vision from God through Bishop Bowens, the improvement of the sanctuary, parking lot, and addition of a multi-purpose room has come to pass under the leadership of Pastor Williams.
New Testament Church currently has more than 40 ministries and recently opened a new sanctuary. We are affectionately known as, "The MENT"?. Guided by the motto: Changing Hearts by Keeping It Real,? Williams developed Changing Hearts International Ministries. This ministry includes a television broadcast, which is aired weekly in thousands of homes, and a radio broadcast that can be heard six (6) days a week on Joy 1270 AM.