West Angeles Church of God in Christ was founded in 1943 by C.E. Church, Sr. The first church was located inside a small store front on Vermont Avenue in the heart of Los Angeles. A new and more permanent home was built at 3501 West Adams Boulevard, which opened its doors in 1955.
Pastor C.E. Church passed away in 1968 and the search for a new minister began. Elder Charles E. Blake had been serving in the ministry in San Diego under his father (the late Bishop J.A. Blake) when he was appointed pastor of West Angeles in 1969. Heading a 50-member congregation, Bishop Blake’s vision began to take form. The 70’s brought a membership explosion and by 1981, West Angeles moved to its 3045 Crenshaw Boulevard location in Los Angeles (now known as the North Campus). Three years later, construction began on the Education Building, Crystal Room, and administrative offices which were completed in 1987. This expansion was quite necessary as the rapidly growing membership wrought equally explosive ministerial growth. The West Angeles Christian Bookstore opened in 1986. The West Angeles Bible College started its first classes in 1987 and in the same year, a full time Counseling Department was established. The West Angeles Christian Academy, founded in the 70’s, thrived during this period of unprecedented growth. As the number of Sunday morning services rose to four plus a Sunday evening service, it was time, once again, to build. The ideal location was just two blocks away at Crenshaw and Exposition Boulevards. The first service held at the 5,000-seat West Angeles Cathedral was April 28, 2001, where the Presiding Bishop of the Church of God in Christ, Bishop G.E. Patterson preached. The Lord is fulfilling His promise to this ministry as dozens to hundreds of souls are brought into the Kingdom each week at the West Angeles Cathedral, the North Campus Sanctuary as well as its many outreach ministries.
Currently, West Angeles Church of God in Christ exceeds 22,000 members. The church has been recognized as one of the fastest growing churches in the nation, with extensive ministry and outreach services including television and radio broadcasts.